Thursday, January 17, 2013

HedgeHog - Crochet Project

CHALLENGE: Create a Hedgehog Hat!

So after I created the horse hat,  I was asked if I could do a hedgehog hat.  I had no clue how to do this so I looked for Ideas online.  I searched through photos of hedgehogs  as well as different hats and crochet stitches.  I finally decided to try a new stitch and also try to do the hat as close to one piece as possible ( meaning the face would be created into the hat and not sewn on later as well as the " fur" on the hedgehog.  Two things I was not sure I could do and had never done before.  So I started to tackle the project.  I learned how to do a loop stitch first.  This stitch would be used to create the fur on the Hedgehog and would also shape the hat.  This was not a hard stitch to learn but I did not find anyone doing them to create a hat, so I had to wing it.  It was hard to get some of the loop stitches into the same hole twice.. It was also hard to keep from grabbing one of the darn loops as I went around the hat to create more but soon I was able to get into a rhythm and figure it out.  By that time, it was time to work in the face.  I switched from the brown to the buff color and hoped to be able to shape the top of the face into a heart type shape.  Success!  It worked.  Now I am not the best at keeping count of things so I had to pay close attention when I got back to the face each time.  For doing this for the first time and not really looking at instructions, I thought it went pretty well!  The hat is pretty thick since the Fur is on the hat so it should make a warm winter hat for years of wearing.  The face was pretty simple to do one I had the hat finished.  I made two small circles for the eyes and stitched them on adding eyelashes and then created the nose by ch 5 and sc 4 then sc 3... Left the tail long so that could sew this on and then add the mouth of the hedgehog.  Finally I crocheted the little flower to go into her hair to give her an even more polished look.  Once the face and flower were finished, I finished with small ear flaps, edging and braided tassels 

This little girl took me two days to complete.  She will be shipped off this weekend to a sweet little girl in Methwold, UK.  = )

PRODUCT:

No comments:

Post a Comment